by Sophia Maguigad '21
Here is the Halloween candy list you’ve all been waiting for.
1. Hershey’s variety pack: This variety pack is true perfection. Do you like plain milk chocolate? You got it. Dark chocolate, maybe? The variety pack has got you covered. Also, if you’re feeling a little adventurous, you can have a Mr. Goodbar or a Krackle.
2. Payday: In all honesty, on the sole basis of taste, Payday wouldn’t make top five. Definitely top ten, though. However, my favorite part of this candy is its name, Payday, because roll Capitalism.
3. Kit Kat: There shouldn’t be much to say about this choice. Kit Kats are simple yet satisfying. The choice to split it in half or eat it all at once makes it incredibly versatile and is definitely a plus.
4. Pink starburst: The superior starburst flavor. It has a strawberry flavor that is strong and distinctive, unlike the others.
5. Twix: Twix offers you three things: the chocolate, caramel, and a crunchy cookie all in one. In my opinion, chocolate and caramel is one of the greatest-tasting combinations in all of existence.
6. Haribo: Who doesn’t like gummy bears? Not only does Haribo offer you bear shaped candy, which I am a huge fan of, but it also offers an endless number of flavors. My favorites are strawberry and pineapple.
7. M&Ms: Get ready for an unpopular opinion, because I really don’t love M&Ms. They are just chocolate covered in rainbow colors. In fact, the rainbow colors are extremely underwhelming. There isn’t even a purple M&M. They just don’t excite me enough to make it any higher on the list.
8. Candy Corn: Personally, I think candy corn is fine. I am not exactly sure what it's made out of or what it's are supposed to taste like. I just think of it as a sugary snack I eat every Halloween, and for that reason, I put it at number eight. I got some hate for this, but because candy corn is unique to the Halloween experience, it deserves a place on this list.
9. Swedish Fish: The only thing keeping Swedish Fish in my top ten is the fact that they are shaped like fish. Fish are my favorite animal, so at least they're fun to eat.
10. Skittles: Another unpopular opinion: I really don’t like skittles. They all taste the same, but they try and tell you that there are different “flavors.” How am I supposed to have a favorite flavor if they all taste the same?
Now for the worst candy — there’s a tie. I absolutely cannot stand Tootsie Rolls or yellow Starburst. Of all the Starburst, yellow is the most artificially tasting one, and it doesn’t even taste like lemon. As for Tootsie Rolls, they are the hardest candy to eat because they get stuck in your teeth and hurt your jaw from chewing them. Additionally, Tootsie rolls don’t even have a distinct flavor. They’re brown, so maybe they’re supposed to taste like chocolate, but they just don’t.